Assam COVID update: Fully vaccinated travellers to be exempted from mandatory COVID testing

The state government of Assam has recently announced updated travel rules. As per the new rules, those who are fully-vaccinated and coming to the state with COVID-19 negative report, will be exempted from undergoing mandatory tests for the virus on arrival in the state. As per the notification issued by the Health and Family Welfare Department, the order comes into immediate effect; however, symptomatic passengers will not be exempted from the testing rules. As per the notification, all the fully-vaccinated travellers visiting the state, will be exempted from mandatory testing on arrival at railway stations, airports, border points, etc. However, they must carry a negative COVID test report that has been taken within 72 hours of their arrival in Assam. Reports also state that all symptomatic travellers arriving in the state will be required to undergo mandatory RT-PCR testing at their own cost on arrival at railway stations, airports etc. The notification further states that the latest rule comes in the wake of decreasing number of new COVID-19 positive cases in the country as well as in the state, along with the growing number of fully vaccinated people. Continuous screening of all incoming passengers at railway stations and airports is still being conducted in the state, which has been in place since the first wave of COVID-19 last year. Referring to the updated travel rules, Health and Family Welfare Minister Keshab Mahanta stated that they have been getting requests regarding COVID-19 testing at airports, after which they decided to do away with the mandatory test for fully vaccinated travellers.

Read more

Kuwait to resume flights with India, other countries

Kuwait will resume commercial flights with India and Egypt, among other countries, while adhering to the COVID-19 measures set by a ministerial committee, a cabinet statement said on Wednesday, reported news agency Reuters. The decision also includes resuming flights with Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Nepal. The Gulf state had suspended commercial flights from several countries including India on the advice of health authorities amid covid surge. All passengers arriving from India either directly or via another country will be banned from entering unless they have spent at least 14 days out of India, Kuwait's directorate general of civil aviation had said in April. Earlier this month, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) lifted ban on the entry of passengers from India and five other countries from 5 August. While restrictions on travel from India to UAE are still in place, those Indians who have a valid residency permit and are fully vaccinated, at least 14 days prior to the travel -- are included in the exempted category.

Read more

Uttarkashi’s ancient Gartang Gali wooden bridge opened to tourists today

The historic Gartang Gali wooden bridge located at a height of 11,000 feet in Nelong Valley in Uttarakhand’s Uttarkashi district near the Indo-China border was opened for tourists on Wednesday after renovation. Gartang Gali bridge, on an ancient trade route to Tibet, is believed to have been built by Peshawar Pathans. It was damaged over the years after it fell into disuse following the Indo-China war in 1962 when it was declared off-limits. The bridge is located inside the Gangotri National Park and is at a distance of 90 km from Uttarkashi district headquarters. The bridge is 136 metre long and 1.8 metre wide. Uttarkashi district magistrate Mayur Dixit said, “The bridge has been renovated by the public works department at a cost of ₹ 65 lakh. Those interested in visiting Gartang Gali bridge will have to register themselves at Bhairav Ghati outpost and follow all the Covid guidelines.” “From the security point of view, only ten visitors will be allowed at a time and they will have to maintain a distance of one metre from each other. Movement of groups or any other activity, such as jumping, dancing, drinking liquor or carrying inflammable substances are prohibited on the bridge,” he said.

Read more

Ladakh to organise event from August 25-29 to promote domestic tourism

Ladakh's Department of Tourism will organise an event next week for promoting domestic tourism in Leh, the capital city of the Union territory, with a focus on aspects of adventure, spirituality, culture, among other themes, officials said on Tuesday. This was revealed at a meeting on Monday chaired by the Secretary, Tourism, Mehboob Ali while reviewing arrangements for the 'Rejuvenating Tourism: Another Day in Nirvana' event to be held in Ladakh from August 25-29. The event will be organised by the Ministry of Tourism in collaboration with the Department of Tourism, Ladakh; Tribal Co-operative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED), Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) and Adventure Tour Operators Association of India (ATOAI). Ali informed that the objective of the programme is to promote Leh (Ladakh) under domestic tourism with a focus on aspects of adventure, spirituality, tranquillity, natural beauty, culture and film tourism. Further, he said the event aims to provide indigenous product knowledge to the industry, stakeholders and also to provide a platform to the local stakeholders for interaction with the tour operators and buyers from the rest of the country. The event will include activities like exhibition, panel discussion, and technical tours to showcase new tourism facilities and tourism products of Ladakh, he said. While reviewing the arrangements, the Tourism Secretary directed the officers concerned to make all necessary arrangements to make the event successful.

Read more

Ras Al Khaimah posts record tourism figures for July as Covid recovery gathers pace

Ras Al Khaimah Tourism Development Authority (RAKTDA) has announced the highest number of visitors ever to the emirate in July, with 109,048 arrivals. The influx was bolstered by the opening of the world’s largest Hampton by Hilton at the beginning of July, which welcomed more than 6,000 guests during its first four weeks of operations. The bumper month follows a healthy first-half performance for the emirate as it welcomed over 223,580 international visitors and 206,844 UAE residents, a total increase of almost 40 percent compared to the same period in 2020. The emirate also achieved a visitor satisfaction score of 98 percent for the first half of 2021, the highest ever percentage reported for the destination, according to Nielsen, along with the highest net promoter score among international visitors recorded over recent years. Raki Phillips, CEO of Ras Al Khaimah Tourism Development Authority, said: “Ras Al Khaimah is a case study in successful Covid-19 management, with thoughtful and progressive initiatives ranging from robust safety measures, vaccination drives for travel and tourism workers, and free return PCR testing for international visitors, to targeted destination campaigns and a renewed focus on aviation collaborations. "The combination of all these measures has led to steady and sustained recovery for the destination and renewed confidence for our tourism industry.” Ras Al Khaimah is one of the fastest growing destinations in the region. It was named the Gulf Tourism Capital for both 2020 and 2021 by the Gulf Cooperation Council and set a global benchmark in becoming the first city in the world to secure the Bureau Veritas Safeguard Label and World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travel Stamp, marking a key step in its tourism recovery.

Read more

British Airways Doubles Flight Services Between India and UK as Travel Demand Increases

he United Kingdom recently moved India from ‘Red’ to ‘Amber’ list allowing fully vaccinated passengers from India to enter the nation without getting compulsory 10-day hotel quarantine. India was put in the Red List under the Britain’s traffic light system for international travel stopping all travel from India, and mandatory 10 days institutional quarantine for expats returning home. With the new travel advisory, the demand on the India-UK route has increased multifold and British Airways on Tuesday said that it has increased flights between India and the UK. According to the airline, starting August 16, 2021, flight services have been increased from 10 to 20 per week. The airline said that the decision came after the UK government moved India to “amber list" and the Indian government allowed UK carriers to operate additional flights, increasing the weekly cap from 15 to 34 per week. British Airways will now operate 20 direct return flights across Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru and Hyderabad to London, Heathrow. Under the ‘amber list’ passengers must take a COVID test three days before departure and book in advance for two COVID tests to be taken upon arrival in England as well as complete a passenger locator form on arrival. Home quarantine for 10 days is also mandatory. “These flights will not only reunite several people who have been kept apart from their loved ones due to Covid-19, but also provide convenient options to eligible students to connect to the UK and US on the airlines’ codeshare partner American Airlines." The United Kingdom only approves and recognises vaccines that are being given in its country — Moderna, Oxford/AstraZeneca and Pfizer/BioNTech. And the list does not include the three vaccines being administered in India — Covishield (Serum Institute of India), Covaxin (Bharat Biotech) or Russia’s Sputnik. News agency PTI reported, Covishield, the India-manufactured Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine, is likely to be covered under this exemption.

Read more