The Philippines just extended travel restrictions to India and other countries

Philippines’ President Rodrigo Roa Duterte has now approved a recommendation of the Inter-Agency Task Force to extend travel restrictions. The ongoing travel restrictions will continue until August 15, in view of COVID 19 delta variant that is causing a surge in coronavirus cases in the country. The travel restriction is extended to ten countries, including India. The countries on which the travel restrictions have been extended are India, Sri Lanka, Oman, Nepal, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Indonesia, United Arab Emirates, Malaysia, and Thailand. The ban on India was first imposed this year on April 29 as the number of coronavirus infections were rising at an alarming rate. That travel restriction was then on July 14, covering India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Nepal, UAE, Oman, and Sri Lanka. It was extended until July 31. President Duterte spoke to the nation, and advised people to remain at home. He said, am telling you, don't leave your homes. If you go out, I will tell the police to escort you back to your house because you are a walking spreader." The President further said that the country cannot go back to square one by allowing the Delta variant of the virus to surge. The infection rate in the Philippines has risen to a great extent, reaching a two-month high on Friday, last week. The country recorded 8562 new cases on Friday, taking the total number of cases to 1580824. A total of 27722 cases of death has been recorded in the country up until now.

Read more

Iceland Eases COVID-19 Travel Restrictions For Vaccinated People

Iceland has lifted off a number of travel restrictions for those vaccinated against COVID-19. The restrictions have been lifted off at nation's borders as well as inside the nation. The decision has been taken as the vaccination rate in Iceland increases. It is reported that visitors as well as citizens could venture outside without masks or practice social distancing. Gatherings are no longer prohibited as well. It has to be noted that the restrictions are eased only for those who are vaccinated with European Medicines Agency recognised vaccines. Also, this is applicable to only fully-vaccinated people; those vaccinated with only one dose of the vaccine will have to abide by the restrictions and SOPs in place. Starting July 1, Iceland also allowed travellers who could offer their vaccination certificates or provide a proof of previous infection. Iceland's Minister of Health Svandis Svavarsdottir also expressed that “We are regaining the kind of society which we feel normal to live in and we have longed for.” It is reported that 87% of its nationals have been partially vaccinated against COVID-19 in Iceland; further, 60% of the citizens in Iceland are fully vaccinated as well. Iceland maintains that it will continue to aggressively continue testing as well carry on with contact tracing to prevent any possible outbreak of COVID-19.

Read more

Lakshadweep to develop high-end eco-tourism projects

The Lakshadweep administration is engaged in the development of high-end eco-tourism projects at Kadamat, Suheli, and Minicoy Islands, officials said on Sunday. A statement from the Lakshadweep administration said that it has proposed high-end eco-tourism projects in order to establish a robust base for maritime economic growth with tourism development as its core. The projects are to be implemented under the aegis of NITI Aayog and taking into account the protection of the fragile coral's ecosystem. Three water villa projects which are of the first in the country will be opened in the Islands. The three water villa projects will come up at Minicoy at a cost of Rs 319 crore, Suheli islands at a cost of Rs 247 crore and Kadamat at Rs 240 crore. National Centre for Sustainable Social Management (NCSCM), MoEF&CC and NITI Aayog have conducted a joint survey during November 2018 for site assessment and confirmation. Lakshadweep administrator, S. Asker Ali, (IAS), told IANS: "All the mandatory clearances are given for the projects are given upfront including the CRZ clearances." He also said that National Institute of Ocean Technology (NIOT) was engaged to prepare the Environment Impact Assessment (EIA) report which is required for CRZ clearance. The administrator said that before finalizing the projects, the administration has conducted meaningful consultations with all the concerned stakeholders including public representatives and the concerned panchayats of Kadamat, Kavaratti and Minicoy. The local panchayats concerned have issued NOC for the proposed eco-tourism projects at Kadamat, Minicoy and Suheli islands in totality even for bar license in the project. The administrator said that Global tenders for the three projects have been floated and can be downloaded with effect from August 1, 2021.

Read more

Covid curfew extended in South Goa

In a bid to curb the spread of COVID-19, South Goa district administration extended the curfew till August 9. The district administration prohibited the functioning of several establishments/facilities including cinema hall, casinos, cruises, spa, auditoriums and weekly markets. Schools, colleges, educational and coaching institutions for students will also remain closed; however, examinations will be permitted with government's approval. Goa on Sunday reported 59 new COVID-19 cases, 105 recoveries and one death in the span of 24 hours. There are 1,011 active cases in the state. Recovery rate stands at 97.57 per cent. Since the onset of the pandemic last year, Goa registered 1,67,046 ooorecoveries while total cases reported are 1,71,205. The cumulative death toll has reached 3,148.

Read more

Andhra will emerge as tourism hub

Andhra Pradesh Assembly Deputy Speaker Kona Raghupati on Saturday said the state will become a tourism hub in the future. Raghupati made this statement after meeting Union Tourism Minister G Kishan Reddy and requested his support for the southern state. The Deputy Speaker requested Reddy to develop tourism potential of the state. Raghupati also met with Food Processing Minister Paras Paswan and informed him that Andhra Pradesh is majorly an agricultural state. Following bifurcation, Raghupati noted that the 74 per cent of the population depends on agriculture for livelihood. He requested Paswan to continue the food processing schemes. Meanwhile, senior YSRCP leader and Rajya Sabha MP Vijayasai Reddy said the state government led by Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy is completely transforming government schools with the Nadu-Nedu scheme. According to Vijayasai Reddy, CAT chairman Narasimha Reddy appreciated the Nadu-Nedu scheme. He said Narasimha Reddy personally found out the change while travelling from Tirupati to Hyderabad when he observed the schools. Vijayasai Reddy said Narasimha Reddy called him up and gave his views on the school renovation scheme. The Rajya Sabha MP also noted that the ruling party MPs are working hard to do their best in achieving goals of the state such as funds for Polavaram, roads, special category status, salvaging Visakhapatnam Steel Plant (VSP), railway zone and others.

Read more

Flights to UAE: Travel agents in India warn of scams targeting stranded residents

UAE residents stranded in south Asian countries from where passenger entry is currently suspended have a new problem to deal with: Scams promising them a return to the emirates. The stranded residents are having to deal with scams as diverse as a fake UAE Embassy website in India that issued bogus travel permits for a fee; alleged false positive Covid-19 results; and touts that bundle over eight people in a hotel room to make a quick buck. Passenger entry between the UAE and the Indian subcontinent continues to remain suspended until further notice. Touts and fraudsters have been having a field day since the restrictions were announced for flights from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Nepal. Stranded UAE residents have the expensive and time-consuming option of travelling back to the country via other destinations. They are allowed to travel back if they spend 14 days in another country from where there are no travel restrictions. However, several people that Khaleej Times spoke recounted a harrowing tale. Travel via Maldives D.R. a Delhi-based travel agent, echoed the harried travellers’ horrid travel tales. “I’ve stopped accepting these bookings for stranded UAE passengers from India via these Green List countries such as the Maldives. I had recently made travel arrangements for two UAE expat families -- of four each -- to travel to Dubai via Male. However, though the travel arrangements were foolproof, trouble started a few days after the families landed from Delhi and Mumbai, respectively. “They were slated to undergo PCR tests after the mandatory 14-day quarantine period to travel back to Dubai. One each of the both the family members were ‘reported’ Covid-19 positive, which raised the travellers’ suspicion. “Then, they decided to uncover the truth and took the tests on their own from another healthcare facility in Male, where, they, expectedly, got negative results,” he said. Though it costs around Dh6,500 per person with travel and room and board expenses thrown in the Maldives, this is only a basic package. A traveller needs to pay at least upwards of Dh11,000 for a decent room, he said. “Many travellers are reportedly anxious to board the first flight available and are not taking into consideration the nitty-gritty of the trip, which, unfortunately, they are figuring out after landing in these destinations and to their own peril,” D.R. added.

Read more