Govt may open Chardham Yatra in phased manner

The Uttarakhand government is considering a phased opening of the Chardham Yatra after Covid subsides and the coronavirus-induced curfew is lifted. It is being planned to open the Chardham Yatra in a phased manner if the pandemic subsides in the coming weeks though nothing has been finalized yet, Tourism and Culture Minister Satpal Maharaj said on Thursday. He had met Chief Minister Tirath Singh Rawat to discuss problems faced by the tourism industry due to the second wave of Covid. In the first phase, the yatra will be opened for residents of Chamoli, Rudraprayag, and Uttarkashi districts where the four Himalayan temples known as Chardham are located. If things go smoothly, people of the rest of the districts may also be permitted to undertake the pilgrimage in the second phase and those from outside the state in the third phase with certain restrictions, Maharaj said. Badrinath temple is located in Chamoli district, Kedarnath in Rudraprayag while Gangotri and Yamunotri are located in Uttarkashi district. "However, everything will depend on the Covid situation. A phased opening of the Chardham Yatra is possible only if the declining trend in Covid positivity and mortality rates continues and the curfew which is currently in force comes to an end," the minister said. The ongoing Covid curfew in Uttarakhand is scheduled to end on June 8 but certain restrictions may continue as it is likely to be lifted in a phased manner. Though the four Himalayan temples were opened for regular prayers as scheduled in May, it was decided to keep them out of bounds for pilgrims till further orders due to the raging second wave of COVID-19. Chardham Yatra was hit by the pandemic last year too with pilgrimage to the temples delayed by several months. Its delayed opening with a number of restrictions had limited the pilgrim footfall to a little over 3.5 lakh during the entire yatra season last year. Maharaj also sought a relief package for the tourism industry in which people are facing a livelihood crisis due to the Covid pandemic which has dealt a big blow to hoteliers, dhaba owners and vehicle operators with almost nil tourist inflow. Hotels in tourist hotspots like Nainital and Mussoorie have suffered bulk cancellation of bookings in recent months. Vehicle operators have also suffered with no tourists around and the Covid induced restrictions forcing them to ply at half their capacity. With Covid curfew in force for over a fortnight now, they are almost off the roads. "A relief package has been sought to inject life into the beleaguered tourism industry which is the backbone of the state''s economy," the minister said.

Read more

Turkey makes 14-day quarantine mandatory for arrivals from India and seven other nations

Turkey has imposed 2-week (14 days) of institutional quarantine mandatory for people arriving in the country from Afghanistan, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Brazil, Nepal and South Africa. The decision was announced on Tuesday to put a cap on the rising numbers of COVID-19 cases. The travel advisory shared by the Turkish Airlines also mentioned that people who have been in these countries in the last 14 days will have to submit a negative RT PCR test result not older than 72 hours. Moreover, passengers coming from the UK, Iran, Egypt and Singapore will have to submit a negative RT PCR test result conducted a maximum of 72 hours before entry. Passengers coming from any other countries apart from these can easily enter Turkey. They do not need to submit any COVID test result and are not subject to mandatory quarantine if they have been vaccinated at least 14 days before and/or have had the tested positive within the last six months and have recovered. The official circular mentions, “If passengers departing from these countries cannot submit a vaccine certificate or the documents proving that they have had the disease according to the stated rules, submission of a PCR negative test result made maximum 72 hours before the entrance to Turkey, or negative rapid antigen test result made maximum 48 hours before the entrance to Turkey will be deemed sufficient”. As of now, Turkey has reported 7112 new cases of Coronavirus taking the country’s overall number to 5,256,516 (since the start of the pandemic).

Read more

London airport terminal opens for travelers from India, other 'red list' countries

LONDON : A terminal at London's Heathrow Airport that was mothballed because of the coronavirus pandemic reopened Tuesday to serve passengers arriving from high-risk countries — an action that critics said was long overdue. Britain has barred travelers from a “red list" of 43 coronavirus hotspots including India, Brazil, Turkey and South Africa, fearing they could bring in worrisome virus variants. U.K. citizens and residents who return from those countries face a mandatory 10-day supervised quarantine in a government-approved hotel. Starting Tuesday, red list arrivals will pass through the airport’s Terminal 3, which was closed in April 2020 as international air travel plummeted, leaving Heathrow — previously Europe's busiest airport — largely empty. Heathrow said in a statement that it had set up the new arrivals facility because “red list routes will likely be a feature of U.K. travel for the foreseeable future." The Public and Commercial Services Union, which represents border staff, said the decision had been made “at extremely short notice, meaning key social distancing procedures are not in place." “This is another poorly planned initiative that will be understaffed and rely on volunteers to do overtime, to avoid mounting queues," the union said. The U.K. has recorded almost 128,000 coronavirus deaths, the highest toll in Europe. A mass vaccination campaign that started in December has brought new infections and deaths down sharply, but case numbers are once again rising as a more transmissible virus variant, named Delta by the World Health Organization and first identified in India, spreads across the U.K. On Tuesday, the government reported a further 3,165 confirmed COVID-19 cases, compared to about 2,500 cases last week. But Britain recorded no coronavirus deaths on Tuesday for the first time since July. Apart from July 30, there have been no days without officially recorded COVID-19 deaths since March 2020. Still, rising case numbers have cast doubt on the Conservative government's plans to lift social distancing rules and remaining pandemic-related restrictions on June 21. Many scientists are urging a delay, arguing that more people need to be vaccinated before measures can be eased safely. Three-quarters of U.K. adults have had one dose of a coronavirus vaccine so far, and almost half have had both doses. Pop-up clinics have been set up as part of a “surge vaccination" campaign in hotspot areas, including one that inoculated thousands of people Monday at London’s Twickenham rugby stadium.

Read more

TOFT India launches Travelife programme to drive tour operation standards

TOFT India, the nature based travel trade alliance focusing on driving more sustainable travel in South Asia, has launched the internationally-recognised Travelife programme to help drive up tour operation standards in India’s tourism sector. “India’s track record on travel and tourism sustainability is very poor, according to the latest UNWTO report 2019, far behind many of its competitors, including Sri Lanka. So being able to bring a respected international partner to India, together with our own accommodation certification programme, means we are now ready to drive up eco-standards and work with states and destinations to help them develop better ecotourism and more sustainable formats for tourism,” said Julian Matthews, Chairman, TOFT. “We are delighted to be working with TOFT in India, helping to drive up standards in tour operation across the country. This pandemic has helped highlighted the need for far greater sustainability in travel and tourism globally – and our certification for operators and DMC’s will help drive the supply chain pressure faster towards more responsible, eco-friendly and fairer tourism across South Asia,” said Naut Kusters, GM of Travelife for Tour operators, based in the Netherlands. “All TOFT current DMC members will gain free access to a range of online tools that they can use to start the journey towards greater sustainability in their own operations, in the tours, they market and operate, and help in the destinations their clients visit. It all starts with making this commitment before full certification can be reached,” added Ritu Makhija, Manager Sustainability, TOFT India. Increasingly travellers and the tour operators and OTA’s that operate them, are demanding greater levels of environmental and social transparency with regards to the holidays they sell, especially the international market. Increasingly the domestic market is asking these questions too and destinations grow, so we are delighted to finally be able to offer the industry and globally recognised and industry supported system that will allow India’s best to continue to compete in the marketplace – post-Covid.

Read more

Lufthansa to resume India-Germany nonstop Flights

Lufthansa flights between Germany and India will again be nonstop from Wednesday (June 2), thanks to the ebbing of cases during India’s catastrophic second Covid wave. The German major’s 10 weekly flights between Frankfurt and Delhi (four times weekly), Mumbai (3) and Bengaluru (3) under the India-Germany air bubble will now no longer take a crew change stopover in the Gulf as they had been doing for nearly a month — thereby cutting travel time by upto 3 hours. Lufthansa had early last month added a stopover in Dubai for its India nonstops to ensure its pilots and cabin crew do not require a layover in the Covid-ravaged country. Dubai was later changed to Bahrain due to UAE restrictions on travellers from India. One set of crew operated from Frankfurt to Gulf; another set from the Gulf to Delhi/Mumbai/Bengaluru and back to Gulf and then a third set operated the aircraft — a Boeing 747-8 these days — back to Germany. “Lufthansa will have normal operations. There will be no second (set of) crew. The crew will have a layover in India (Delhi, Mumbai and Bangalore). There will be no stopover in Bahrain anymore,” the Lufthansa spokesman added. Due to the Gulf crew change stopover, the about 7-hour journey between Frankfurt and Delhi/Mumbai took over 9 hours. And the 11-hour flight between Frankfurt and Bengaluru took 13 hours. Passengers would remain seated inside the aircraft during crew change. Like several other countries, Germany has since end of April barred the entry of Indian citizens due to the Covid situation here. Only German nationals and holders of a German resident permit travelling from India are currently allowed to enter Germany. It remains to be seen when foreign countries start lifting restrictions on travellers from India. While that may still take some time, the falling Covid cases in India will see Lufthansa crew from Wednesday taking layovers here.

Read more

AirAsia India extends free cancellation, reschedule facility in lockdown-hit states

No-frills carrier AirAsia India has extended free cancellation and rescheduling facility for its flights to and from Delhi, West Bengal, Karnataka, Telangana, Tamil Nadu and Maharashtra following the extension of lockdown or strict restrictions by these states, a release said on Monday. While the governments of Karnataka, Delhi and Tamil Nadu have extended the lockdown to June 7, West Bengal has extended it till June 15. Maharashtra, which was the first state in the country to impose lockdown-type restriction on April 22 amid the second wave, has also extended these curbs to June 15. All AirAsia India guests who booked their flights before the announcement of the lockdown (in these states) can opt to cancel or change to another flight without incurring any change fees or cancellation charges, the airline said in a statement. The free cancellation and rescheduling facility for the flights to and from Telangana has been extended to June, AirAsia India said in a statement. The Bangalore-based airline said it continued to extend free cancellation and rescheduling for flights to and from West Bengal, Karnataka, Delhi, Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu as well for the current duration of the respective state lockdowns. With increased uncertainty and travel restrictions, the airline extended this offer for bookings made on it as well as other major booking channels, it said.

Read more