Italy Targets Mid-May Opening for Tourism in Bid to Save Sector

Italy is aiming to open the country to tourists in mid-May, pledging a range of measures to protect visitors from the coronavirus as it scrambles to rescue a sector devastated by lockdowns and restrictions on movement. As part of the race to get the industry back on its feet, the Rome-based government will introduce so-called vaccine passports earlier than the rest of the European Union, Tourism Minister Massimo Garavaglia said in an interview. “Conditions are right to start the summer season on May 15,” said Garavaglia, a 53-year-old lawmaker from the rightist League, Italy’s most popular party. Prime Minister Mario Draghi is under pressure to salvage tourism, which accounts for 13% of Italy’s economic output. Tourist arrivals plunged globally by three quarters last year, generating losses worth 2% of GDP and putting 100 million jobs at risk, according to a report earlier this month. The Draghi government hopes to introduce its version of the EU’s planned “digital green certificates” through a decree as early as this week, Garavaglia said, and is planning “Covid-free” rail service to some 90 destinations, with mandatory pre-boarding swabs for passengers. Checkpoints at popular tourist spots are another option. “In Venice they’re studying solutions to help tourists enter, perhaps through checks, at the few entry points to the city,” Garavaglia said. The government is also planning to earmark more than 1.7 billion euros ($2.1 billion) in support for businesses and workers who’ve lost revenue because of the pandemic, Garavaglia said, and foresees financial tools including mini-bonds to allow businesses to group together to seek funding for structural works on hotels and restaurants.

Read more

Sri Lanka all set to get its first-ever floating agro tourism resort

Sri Lanka is all set to get its first-ever floating resort embracing an agro-tourism theme that will feature around 50 floating cabanas. As per the latest news reports, the Bolagala Floating Agro Tourism Resort in Katana, located close to the Negombo tourism hub, will be the latest addition to offer unique experiences to those visiting the country. Reportedly, the 50 floating cabanas will boast of a floating restaurant, a floating swimming pool, pub, main restaurant, karaoke lounge, underwater gym and spa. Tourists will also enjoy a combination of other experiences, such as watersports, jogging and bicycle tracks, tennis court, fishing, and an electric car experience. This sustainable tourism venture will introduce organic farming concept, where visitors will also be allowed to enjoy hands-on experience of farming in Sri Lanka. Reports have it that this is the first time the concept of organic farming has been put into use in the Negombo area. Referring to this, Chairperson of Sri Lanka Tourism Kimarli Fernando stated, “Sustainable and eco-friendly products are the future for tourism particularly post COVID-19 and we look to the industry to be innovative and create unique experiences such as this project.” As per the plan, the project will be completed in two stages. While during the first stage, three suite rooms, 3 GPS movable rooms, 27 deluxe rooms, a restaurant, and a floating swimming pool will be completed, whereas the second stage will involve completion of the rest of the cabanas along with the underwater spa and other activity-based components. Reports also stated that the underwater spa will come equipped with four spa rooms.

Read more

Covid-19: Airlines offer flexible travel plans

With increased uncertainty and more travel restrictions being imposed by various state governments due to the rise in covid-19 cases, several airlines have come up with plans to not charge passengers extra for changing their date of journey. SpiceJet, is now allowing its passengers to make changes in your travel at least five days prior to the date of departure with its ‘Zero Change fee’ offer instead of seven days. “The new offering allows passengers to modify tickets with a one-time waiver of the charges without any hassle. The offer aims to extend significant flexibility and cost savings to all its passengers in these trying times. Under the new offer, passengers booking direct domestic flight tickets from April 17, 2021, to May 10, 2021, can enjoy a one-time waiver on the change fee for the travel period between April 17 and May15. Fare difference will be applicable for flight changes and shall be payable by the customer,” the airline said. Similarly, AirAsia India has also announced free rescheduling on all flights for bookings till May 15. “To ensure that its customers continue to have the greatest flexibility if their travel plans change with increased uncertainty and travel restrictions, the airline has extended this offer on its new website www.airasia.co.in as well as other major booking channels. Guests can now make unlimited changes for all bookings and changes made till May 15, 2021, irrespective of the travel dates, without incurring any flight change fees,” AirAsia India said. Indigo also said that passengers can now do unlimited changes for new bookings made till April 30.

Read more

Dubai tightens entry for Indians, passengers mandated to carry negative Covid-19 report

New Delhi: Dubai tightened the entry of travellers from India due to fear of rising Covid cases. Passengers travelling from India to Dubai will now need to show a negative Covid report from a test done within 48 hours of departure from April 22. The time limit for showing a negative report has been reduced from 72 hours to 48 hours of departure to the UAE. The reports must also have a QR code linked to the original report for verification by the airline. It will be verified by Dubai health authorities on arrival as well. In wake of the severe Covid surge in India, Dubai has put in place stricter entry requirements for Indian travellers from 12:01 am on April 22. The test report must have the “time of sample collection,” Air India Express said in a tweet. Note that Delhi-Dubai and Mumbai-Dubai have been among the world’s busiest international sectors during the pandemic, with the former often topping that list in the last few months. This is not the first time Dubai has tightened rules for Indians. Last year also when travel between both nations resumed under air bubble, Dubai required passengers to take a test within 96 hours of boarding a flight from India. Just a few months back this requirement was reduced to 72 hours and from Thursday onwards, it will be 48 hours. This order comes at a time when getting test results is taking much longer in many Indian cities due to the massive surge in Covid cases. Meanwhile, various countries have now started tightening norms for travel from India due to the Covid surge. New Zealand has barred entry of travellers from India, including its own citizens, from April 11-28. Hong Kong has also barred passenger flights from India, Pakistan and the Philippines for 14 days from April 20 over Coronavirus fears. Oman has also asked its citizens not to travel to India unless absolutely necessary.

Read more

Delhi to be put under curfew for one week as Covid cases spike to record high

After a meeting with the LG today morning, Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal has announced a six-day lockdown in the national capital territory. Announcing the decision, the Chief Minister said that the city’s health system can collapse at any moment if drastic steps are not taken. He said that the city is facing the highest number of infection cases in a day ever since the Covid crisis has started and there is a need to strengthen the health system immediately. He said that the government will use the time to beef up the health system, additional oxygen beds, ICU beds, in the city. The Chief Minister said that the city hospitals are brimming with covid patients and so far the health system has been able to function normally. But any additional surge will make the system collapse. Sharing the concerns of the daily wage earners and migrant workers, the Chief Minister asked them not to panic and start travelling back to their native places. He said that it is a short lockdown of six days and the government will make sure their needs are taken care of. The Chief Minister said that essential services will remain open and weddings will be allowed to continue with maximum attendance of 50 people.

Read more

Kullu-Manali readies to welcome tourists amid Covid spurt

Kullu-Manali will remain open to tourists despite rising cases of Covid-19 across the nation and both tourism stakeholders and officials will make required preparations so that tourists feel comfortable without worries. Cabinet minister Govind Singh Thakur chaired a meeting with officials from all the departments including DC, SP, CMO, tourism deputy director and tourism stakeholders to make a roadmap for safe tourism amid the pandemic. Hoteliers, travel agents, taxi operators, adventure sports operators and others gave their suggestions and complained about their problems. After a long discussion, it was decided that stakeholders and officials will work together to make a positive environment for tourists, so that they could visit the district without panic. It was decided that all the tourism traders will adopt extra safety and hygiene, and the administration will take care of the tourists if they test positive after visiting the district. Deputy commissioner Richa Verma made it clear that a negative RT-PCR test report is not mandatory for tourists visiting Himachal, but it was suggested that tourists should get themselves tested voluntarily and keep report with them so that they are not harassed while travelling through many states. She said tourists are not bound to carry the negative test report, but it will make hoteliers, taxi operators, others and themselves feel safe while holidaying. Summer tourist season in Manali is going to start, but hoteliers said number of tourists was declining due to many Covid-related reasons. The minister suggested that a positive message should go out of Kullu-Manali that people here are adopting extra safety and are welcoming tourists. “We have proper health facilities to deal with the situation. Tourists should feel safe while traveling to Himachal. There are many rumours about the government making RT-PCR test report mandatory which is not true. I’ve asked officials that if tourist tests positive, they should talk to him personally over the phone to make the tourist feel comfortable. The officials have also been asked to hold meeting with all the tourism unions and associations one by one so that there is no communication gap,” the minister said. It was also decided that the vaccination in the district will be intensified and chances of vaccinating hotel staff and taxi operators on priority will be explored so that people in district become safe from Covid and could host tourists without much worry.

Read more