Phuket: No quarantine for vaccinated travellers from July

Thailand has permitted foreigners who have been vaccinated against Covid to enter Phuket without having to undergo mandatory hotel quarantine. Yuthasak Supasorn, the governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand, who prefers to call this experiment the ‘Phuket sandbox model’, said that the exercise would begin from July onwards. By July, the authorities expect to inoculate almost 70 per cent of the population in Phuket. Supasorn also announced that from April onwards, the current hotel quarantine period of 14 days will be halved to seven days for fully vaccinated visitors to Chiang Mai, Krabi, Pattaya, Phuket, Koh Samui and Phang Nga. From October onwards, the government plans to extend the quarantine waiver model to five more destinations within the country. Vaccinated visitors will also need to furnish Covid-negative certificates and would need to download a mobile tracking application. Deputy Phuket governor Phichet Panaphong had been quoted as saying that before Covid-19, the average income of people living in Phuket stood at THB 40,000 per month, while in February the average income had plummeted to about THB 8,000 a month. “Without intervention, the average income of locals is estimated to drop further to THB 1,964 per person per month in July, well below the poverty line,” he had said. The slump in Thailand’s tourism sector slump has continued since last April's tight travel curbs that saw foreign arrivals fall 99.8 per cent in January from a year earlier. As against nearly 40 million tourists who arrived in Thailand in 2019, only 6.7 million managed to enter the kingdom in 2020. Thailand's cabinet on Tuesday approved financial measures worth THB 350 billion baht to help businesses cope with the impact of the coronavirus pandemic as the economy will take time to recover, government officials said. The tourism-reliant economy contracted 6.1 per cent last year, its deepest slump in over two decades, with tourism devastated by travel curbs and other domestic impacts.

Read more

SATTE pumps life into sagging morale of tourism sector

South Asia Travel & Tourism Exchange (SATTE) , India's premier travel and tourism exhibition, which got underway in Expo Centre Greater Noida, has pumped life into the travel and tourism sector. The participation in terms of exhibitors and visitors in adverse market conditions really surprised even the leaders of the industry. Although there is negligible international participation and absence of many states and established private DMCs are quite pronounced, the travel show has brought out the resilience and undying appetite for survival in the tourism sector which was badly hit by the travel bans by countries and interstate and intrastate travel restrictions domestically due to the pandemic. There are over 100 pavilions and more than 350 co-exhibitors participating in the 28th annual edition of the SATTE.“We are glad to receive such an overwhelming response from our exhibitors, and support from authorities and tourism boards. The industry is still subject to the see-saw effect in terms of the economy. Exhibitions like SATTE will surely drive a positive tone among the associated stakeholders and industry players, while strategically strengthening ‘Atmanirbharat’ as envisaged by the Government. We are upbeat about the future and about the efforts we all need to put together for the revival," said Yogesh Mudras, Managing Director, Informa Markets in India. Appreciating the Informa Markets for showing the way by organising the event despite difficult situation, Jyoti Mayal, Vice President of the Federation of Associations of Indian Tourism & Hospitality (FAITH) said that the event shows that the tourism sector can move forward by observing the right safety guidelines and protocols. "I was surprised to see so many people reaching the exhibition from the very morning. In fact, the organisers are not even providing transport from Delhi and nearby places this time around. It is an encouraging sign for Indian tourism,’’ said Rajiv Mehra, President, Indian Association of Tour Operators (IATO). Lauding the efforts of Informa Markets in pulling out a good show, Mehra said that it will inspire many travel show organisers in India and abroad. "I didn’t expect so much participation at SATTE this time around. This is definitely a sign of hope for the tourism industry in the country," said MP Bezbaruah, Secretary General, Hotel Association of India (HAI). Former Secretary, Tourism, Government of India himself, Bezbaruah proposed that the Indian states have to play a proactive role in putting in place strict safety and hygiene protocols at destinations to bring the confidence back in the minds of the people. Centre can only give policy directions, he informed. "It’s by and large a domestic tourism show. But at least a good beginning for the tourism sector to look forward to," said Pradip Lulla, President of TAFI. Even the exhibitors were taken by surprise by the response despite the prevailing uncertainties in the travel market. "The response was overwhelmingly positive," said Rashmi Pradhan of Beautiful Planet who was promoting Al Ula at the expo. While a large chunk of business visitors were from the Delhi NCR; there were a good number of visitors from the Southern part of India as well, she said.

Read more

MP to inaugurate Khajuraho Convention Centre today

Madhya Pradesh government has identified tourism as one of the leading sectors for development and aims to promote the state as an attractive destination for both domestic and international travellers. There is a sustained focus on infrastructure development, restoration of heritage sites, development of natural reserves and biodiversity, promotion of sustainable and responsible tourism as well as rural tourism. Excerpts from a conversation with Yuvraj Padole, Deputy Director, Events and Marketing, Madhya Pradesh Tourism Board ETTravelWorld (ETTW): What is the kind of preparation that Madhya Pradesh is engaging in for the opening of the Khajuraho convention centre and the ICPB meet? Yuvraj Padole (YP): With the ICPB event we will also be inaugurating our convention centre in Khajuraho, which is newly constructed, and after this we look forward to receiving many more conferences and conventions in Madhya Pradesh. For this event, we have invited a limited number of guests from Delhi and they will be there for two days (March 25 and 26). We have made all the adequate arrangements and precautionary measures have been taken. Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister, Shivraj Singh Chouhan, will be inaugurating the function and the Union Minister for Tourism and Culture, Prahlad Singh Patel, will also be there. The district administration has ensured that all the SOPs are followed while receiving the guests and that social distancing is maintained at all times. The convention centre can accommodate more than 1200 people, but we have invited only 100 plus guests for the event to ensure that the SOPs are followed at all times. ETTW: Are you planning more such events in the state soon enough? YP: We have been lucky enough to not have been so badly affected by the second wave of Covid-19, but if things get back to normal soon, we are planning to have our annual festivals as well as various programmes and annual events, like the Madhya Pradesh Travel Mart, of which we have already hosted five editions and would like to continue with that. But since right now there are no international arrivals, we intend to start such events only after October, but having said that, it would depend a lot on how things pan out and whether the situation is back to normal. ETTW: Ever since you opened the state to domestic tourists, how has the response been so far? YP: Madhya Pradesh is a versatile state that offers a variety of tourism products. After Covid-19 we have focused on wellness tourism, mindful tourism, rural tourism, and also adventure tourism. In these activities you don't need many people, but at the same time, you can enjoy the vacation along with the activity you want to be involved in. So, it serves two benefits -firstly, it serves the purpose of you going somewhere for a vacation and secondly, you are also doing something which is related to health, fitness and sports. Our homestays, gramstays and also farmstays are also doing well. Through these, travellers get a chance to engage with the people living in these villages and get to witness their life, up close and personal. We also started wellness tourism very recently in Pachmarhi, where we have opened a health centre, which not just offers a spa and various Ayurveda treatments, but is also nestled in the lap of nature offering a pollution-free environment, where one can opt for walks or go on a trek. ETTW: Yes, wellness tourism in secluded places is also a perfect fit for the post Covid travellers who would avoid travelling to crowded places. YP: Absolutely, travellers are asking for these kinds of places, they don't want to go and stand in a queue where they are surrounded by people. People are aware, they are cautious, and they are taking all kinds of precautions and taking utmost care to ensure safety. ETTW: You’ve spoken about various kinds of tourism that the state has developed, how is MP faring in terms of film tourism as there are quite a few OTT shows that have been shot in the state and considering that you have also come out with a film tourism policy? YP: Madhya Pradesh is a popular state for filmmaking and our film tourism policy also lays down that any filmmaker who comes and shoots in the state will also get some kind of subsidy after the completion and release of their film. As of now more than 20 films are on floor, including OTT platforms. ETTW: Through our interactions with filmmakers, what we’ve come to understand is that more than subsidies, filmmakers are asking for a mechanism wherein it is easy for them to shoot films as far as permissions are concerned. YP: Yes, that’s correct. There are many filmmakers who have told us that Madhya Pradesh offers them hassle-free shooting opportunities, without additional problems and restrictions. We have created a single-window system, which provides ease of doing business. So, all the permissions, clearances, and all kinds of assistance to the filmmakers are awarded through a single-window system and Madhya Pradesh tourism has been appointed the nodal agency for this purpose and this is what makes filmmakers come to the state again and again to shoot their films.

Read more

Haryana: Heli-taxi to give Pinjore aviation club new wings

The Haryana government plans to introduce a helicopter taxi service from Pinjore to revive its aviation club. Haryana chief minister Manohar Lal Khattar spoke with the aviation sector’s stakeholders at a high-level meeting recently of the Integrated Planning Committee. During the meeting, the CM asked the officers of the civil aviation sector to chalk out plans and prepare a feasibility report for starting the heli-taxi service from Pinjore on the pattern of Chandigarh. An officer on the Panchkula Integrated Planning Committee said: “The CM has asked us to check if we can open the aviation route to Shimla, Dehradun, Hisar, Dharamshala and Punjab’s industrial towns especially and give connectivity from Barotiwala, Baddi and even Parwanoo.” The Panchkula Integrated Planning Committee comprises Vidhan Sabha speaker and local legislator Gian Chand Gupta, mayor Kubhushan Goyal, CM’s chief principal secretary D S Dhesi, chief secretary Vijay Wardhan, ACS (PWDB&R) Alok Nigam, forest department principal secretary G Anupama, and Panchkula DC Mukesh Ahuja. The officers of the departments concerned have been asked to prepare a plan to start the Heli Taxi service at the earliest with the present infrastructure and if that works, more infrastructures could be added. Last year, a heli-taxi service was inaugurated by the CM from the Chandigarh international airport for Hisar. The four-seater Bell helicopter made its maiden flight to Hisar and continues to operate with full capacity. Thereafter, the heli-taxi service was also started for Hisar to Dehradun and Hisar to Dharamshala. From Chandigarh to Hisar, the heli-taxi fare is INR 1,750 for each passenger, and the flight covers the distance in 50 minutes. The fare is INR 2,500 for Dharamshala and the distance 80 minutes from Hisar. Similarly, Himachal Pradesh Tourism started a helicopter taxi service under UDAN-II between Shimla and Chandigarh on February 28, 2019, and it goes on at full capacity.

Read more

Saudi Arabia confirmed as partner country for ITB India

ITB India has announced the Saudi Tourism Authority (STA) as the official partner country of the 2021 event. The inaugural ITB India Virtual Event, being held on April 7th-9th, is an annual business-to-business trade show and conference specifically curated to build a bridge to the Indian and south-Asian travel market. STA is responsible for raising awareness of Saudi, the authentic home of Arabia, as a destination. “The Saudi Tourism Authority is building a global community dedicated to driving awareness of Saudi as a unique tourism destination offering authentic Arabian experiences to cultural explorers from around the world,” said Fahd Hamidaddin, chief executive officer of STA. “The destination’s wealth of heritage sites, its dynamic urban centres and the warm hospitality of the Saudi people make it a compelling destination for travellers seeking the new, unexpected stories that make a journey truly memorable.” As the official partner country of ITB India, Saudi Tourism Authority will showcase an array of current tourism offerings and destination highlights as well as the exciting new developments on the horizon. “Saudi offers Indian travellers a unique experience, grounded in Saudi hospitality and redolent of Arabian mystery,” said Hamidaddin. “Our partnership with ITB India is an important part of our long-term objective to engage, inspire, invite and delight Indian travellers to Saudi.”

Read more

Travelling to Bengaluru from Punjab, Chandigarh? Negative Covid-19 report must

Amid the spike in the Covid-19 cases, the Karnataka government has mandated RT-PCR certificates not older than 72 hours for those arriving in the state from Punjab and Chandigarh. The government had already made the provision for those from Kerala and Maharashtra. "In order to contain the second wave of COVID-19, the existing guidelines issued to incoming travellers from Kerala and Maharashtra to carry negative RT-PCR negative reports not older than 72 hours at the time of entering Karnataka have been extended to Punjab and Chandigarh," Health Minister Dr K Sudhakar tweeted. "Here are the latest travel guidelines for passengers arriving in Bengaluru from Punjab and Chandigarh," the official Twitter handle of Kempegowda International Airport Bengaluru tweeted. Here are the latest travel guidelines for passengers arriving in Bengaluru from Punjab and Chandigarh. Latest travel guidelines for passengers arriving from Punjab and Chandigarh As per the Government of Karnataka circular dated 22 March, a negative RT-PCR report, not older than 72 hours is mandatory for all passengers arriving from Punjab and Chandigarh. The negative report will be verified by the airline staff at the time of boarding. The following categories are exempted: Children below 2 years. During an emergency (death in family/medical treatment, etc), the passenger's swab will be collected on arrival. Once the RT-PCR test report is available, further action will be taken as per State protocol. Constitutional functionaries and healthcare professionals Karnataka reported 2,010 new coronavirus cases and five fatalities in the last 24 hours. According to the state health department, the total count of cases has gone up to 973,657 and the death toll to 12,449. Bengaluru Urban reported the maximum number of new cases at 1,280 cases. The cumulative cases in Bengaluru Urban stand at nearly 420,000.

Read more