Passengers who missed train in Chennai Central to get berths under Emergency Quota

Southern Railway has offered to help some passengers who could not board Train No. 12840 Chennai Central-Howrah Superfast Mail in Chennai on June 11 to get accommodation under the Emergency Quota. According to railway sources, a senior official of the Chennai Division got in touch with Vinay Yadav of West Bengal and his family members who had confirmed tickets in Coach S-3 but could not enter the train after unauthorised persons barged into the compartment and occupied reserved berths. Assuring them refund for the tickets that could not be used for travel, the official asked them to book fresh tickets in Train No 12842 Chennai Central-Shalimar Coromandel Express departing Chennai on June 12 and offered to help them in getting berths confirmed under the Emergency Quota. On June 11 night, many passengers with confirmed tickets could not board the Chennai-Howrah Superfast Mail after unauthorised persons barged into the Sleeper Class compartments even as the empty rake of the train was being brought on to the platform. Despite complaints to the Travelling Ticket Examiner, Station Manager and Station Inspector, there was no change in the situation. Several families were stranded in the platform after the train left, Mr. Vinay Yadav said. “In no time, many coaches were fully occupied, mostly by ticketless travellers or those with waitlisted or unreserved tickets. The entire coach was full and many were sitting or standing with luggage along the pathway. The doors were either locked or jam-packed with no scope for anybody to enter. Even if senior citizens, women and children manage to push through the crowd, they would not be able to move, lie down and use the toilet through the long journey. There was no assistance from the railways. We booked rooms in a lodge and will have to stay here till June 11 morning. I have already spent more than ₹25,000...,” he said. The Division Railway Manager of Chennai Division chose to respond in social media. In a reply to this correspondent’s post on ‘X’, he said Southern Railway was operating four weekly holiday special trains to Howrah connecting Chennai area in addition to the existing seven regular train services. The June 11’s rush was probably due to the festival holiday. Necessary steps had been taken to reduce crowding in the coaches. The number of Sleeper Class coaches in Train No. 12840 Chennai Central-Howrah Superfast Mail and Train No. 12842 Chennai Central-Shalimar Coromandel Superfast Express trains were increased. Expressing shock over reserved coaches in the Chennai-Howrah Superfast Mail being taken over by unauthorised travellers, Chennai Central constituency MP Dayanidhi Maran of the DMK said this was not just unfair to travellers with confirmed tickets, but a major security concern as well. “Southern Railway needs to investigate why no action was taken at the station to resolve the issue and also ply more trains along such corridors to help ease the plight of workers,” he said. The Ministry of Railways has to create a comprehensive roadmap for the modernisation of stations, and security mechanisms and do a thorough study of passenger traffic and requirements along all lines at the earliest, Mr. Maran said.

Read more

Taj becomes world's strongest hotel brand on back of rapid revenue growth

Taj Hotels, the flagship brand of Indian Hotels Company (IHCL), has become the world’s strongest hotel brand on the back of rapid revenue growth. The brand has been recognised as the world’s second fastest-growing brand, after Sheraton’s Four Points, stated a Brand Finance report titled Hotels 50 2024. Taj’s brand value soared to $545 million, stated the report. “We are delighted for the iconic brand Taj to be honoured as the World's Strongest Hotel Brand yet again, in its milestone 120th year. Receiving this recognition for four years, thrice as number one in the world, is a testament to the brand’s century-old legacy of pioneering destinations, setting global benchmarks, and showcasing Indian hospitality to the world,” said Puneet Chhatwal, managing director and chief executive officer, IHCL. “This achievement underscores the trust and affection of our guests and the steadfast dedication and commitment of our colleagues in delivering warm and sincere service, a true hallmark of Taj,” he added. With an improved Brand Strength Index (BSI) score of 92.9 out of 100, Taj earned an AAA+ rating -- the highest brand strength rating awarded by the leading brand valuation consultancy. “Taj’s BSI score climbed more than three points and performed exceptionally well across various brand strength metrics, such as familiarity, consideration, recommendation, and reputation,” the report added. The hospitality giant had reported a 29.36 per cent growth in its consolidated profit after tax to Rs 438.33 crore in the fourth quarter ended March 2024. Meanwhile, Hilton, with a brand value of $11.6 billion, continued to hold its position as the world’s most valuable hotel brand for the ninth consecutive year.

Read more

Schengen Visa: Europe Trip Gets Costlier As Fee Hiked By 12% From Today

Schengen Visa 12% Fees Hike Effective Today: Travelers to Europe will now have to pay higher visa application fees as the European Commission’s 12 per cent hike in Schengen Visa fees becomes effective today, June 11, 2024. This increase is applicable worldwide. This move coincides with the bloc’s efforts to promote tourism in the region. Under the new fee structure, adult applicants will pay €90 (previously €80), and children aged 6-12 will pay €45 (previously €40). Countries deemed uncooperative with the EU’s efforts to repatriate their citizens will face steeper hikes, with fees reaching €135 or €180. Currently, one euro (€) is equal to nearly Rs 90. “The European Commission adopted a decision to increase short-stay Schengen visa (visa type C) fees worldwide by 12 per cent. This increase will apply globally starting June 11, 2024,” the Slovenian government stated in May. The European Commission cites inflation and rising civil servant salaries as justification for the increase. The previous fee hike occurred in February 2020.

Read more

Heatwave alert in Greece: The country faces rising temperatures and wildfire danger

In a recent weather update from Greece, the country is going to undergo a three-day heatwave starting today. According to Vassilis Kikilias, Minister of Climate Crisis and Civil Protection of Greece, during this time, the temperatures will touch or go above 40 degrees Celsius. The minister has cautioned about the heightened risk of wildfires as well. Kikilias has also informed reporters of the peak heat expected on Wednesday and Thursday, prompting Greece to elevate its fire risk warning to a "very high" level of four out of five. Meteorologists had also predicted temperatures reaching 43 degrees Celsius before subsiding over the weekend. Greece, experiencing its warmest winter on record followed by unseasonably high temperatures in April, has already witnessed forest fires starting as early as March, even at altitudes exceeding 1000 m. This month alone, firefighters have been tirelessly fighting several daily forest blazes. He also stressed the fire season's challenges, prompting Greece to impose harsher penalties for both accidental and deliberate arsonists, with perpetrators facing up to 20 years in prison and a fine of €200,000 since May 1st. According to the National Observatory of Athens, wildfires in 2023 ravaged nearly 175,000 hectares of forest and farmland in Greece following an unprecedented two-week heatwave. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change attributes the prolonged fire seasons and increased land destruction to rising temperatures resulting from human-induced fossil fuel emissions. A look at some of the must visit places in Greece: Greece is renowned for its stunning landscapes, rich history, and vibrant culture. Here are five beautiful places to visit in Greece: Santorini: Known for its iconic whitewashed buildings, breathtaking sunsets, and crystal-clear waters, Santorini is a must-visit destination in Greece. Explore the charming villages of Oia and Fira, perched on cliffs overlooking the Aegean Sea.. Athens: As the capital city of Greece, Athens is a fascinating blend of ancient history and modernity. Explore iconic landmarks such as the Acropolis, home to the Parthenon, one of the most famous ancient monuments in the world. Meteora: Meteora is a UNESCO World Heritage Site renowned for its breathtaking rock formations and monasteries perched atop towering cliffs. Explore the monasteries, which date back to the 14th century, and marvel at the stunning panoramic views of the surrounding landscapes. Crete: As the largest island in Greece, Crete offers a diverse range of landscapes, from pristine beaches to rugged mountains and ancient ruins. Visit the Palace of Knossos, the legendary Minoan archaeological site, and explore charming villages like Chania and Rethymno, with their Venetian-era architecture and picturesque harbors.

Read more

Saudi Arabia’s travel and tourism breaks all records: WTTC report

Travel & Tourism is forecast to continue growing at pace in 2024, with GDP contribution set to reach SAR 498BN, while jobs will increase by more than 158,000 jobs to reach nearly 2.7MN. International visitor spending is projected to almost double reaching SAR 256BN. Saudi Arabia’s Travel & Tourism sector is now soaring past all previous records, testament to the country’s commitment to becoming a global tourism hot spot, a report stated. The World Travel & Tourism Council’s (WTTC) 2024 Economic Impact Research (EIR) revealed a record-breaking year for travel and tourism in Saudi Arabia, with new records in GDP contribution, sector jobs and visitor spend. Last year, the sector grew by more than 32% to contribute a record-breaking SAR 444.3BN to Saudi’s GDP, representing 11.5% of the entire economy. This exceeded the previous record by almost 30% and underscores the sector’s pivotal new role in the nation’s economic framework. Jobs supported by the sector grew by 436,000 to reach more than 2.5MN, representing almost one in five jobs in the country. Although the jobs lost during the pandemic were fully recovered in 2022, this announcement shows sector employment in Travel & Tourism has increased almost 24% since the previous peak. International visitor spending surged by almost 57% to reach SAR 227.4BN, breaking the previous record by SAR 93.6BN, while domestic visitor spending grew by 21.5% to reach SAR 142.5BN. Seven years ahead of its target, Saudi Arabia welcomed 100MN tourists in 2023. Today, the country is surging toward even greater heights and has set a more ambitious aim of attracting 150MN tourists by 2030. Julia Simpson, WTTC President & CEO said, “Saudi Arabia’s Travel & Tourism sector’s extraordinary achievements last year mark a pivotal moment in its journey towards becoming a global tourism leader.” “This success is a direct result of the Kingdom’s visionary commitment to the sector, showcasing an impressive fusion of cultural heritage and innovative tourism initiatives. As the sector continues to expand, it promises to play a crucial role in the nation’s diversified economic future, while contributing significantly to global Travel & Tourism development.” Minister of Tourism of Saudi Arabia and Chairman of the Executive Council of UN Tourism, Ahmed Al-Khateeb said, “The latest data from WTTC provides further evidence of the rapid success we have achieved in transforming Saudi Arabia’s tourism industry.” “Tourism is a key pillar of the Kingdom’s Vision 2030 economic diversification plans and we have made great strides promoting investment in the sector – with more than $800 billion earmarked by 2030 – as well as creating new jobs and growing the contribution of tourism to GDP.” 2024 forecast: Travel & Tourism is forecast to continue growing at pace in 2024, with GDP contribution set to reach SAR 498BN, while jobs will increase by more than 158,000 jobs to reach nearly 2.7MN. International visitor spending is projected to reach SAR 256BN, almost double the previous high point, and domestic visitor spending is forecast to reach SAR 155.2BN The global tourism body is also forecasting that the sector will grow its annual GDP contribution to a staggering SAR 836.1BN by 2034, almost 16% of the Saudi Arabian economy, and will employ more than 3.6MN people across the country, with one in five people working in the sector. What does the region look like? The Middle Eastern Travel & Tourism sector grew by more than 25% in 2023 to reach almost $460BN. Jobs reached nearly 7.75MN and international spending grew by 50% to reach $179.8BN. Domestic visitor spending grew by 16.5% to reach more than $205BN. WTTC is forecasting that the Middle Eastern Travel & Tourism sector will continue to grow throughout 2024 with the GDP contribution set to reach $507BN. Jobs are forecast to reach 8.3MN, international visitor spending is forecast to reach $198BN and domestic visitor spending is expected to reach more than $224BN.

Read more

Emirates to resume flights from India to Dubai from June 23

As Dubai eases travel curbs for passengers from India, Emirates airline said it will resume flights connecting India, South Africa and Nigeria to the city from June 23. "Emirates welcomes the latest protocols and measures announced by Dubai's Supreme Committee of Crisis and Disaster Management to allow the safe resumption of passenger travel from South Africa, Nigeria and India to Dubai and onwards," said the airline's spokesperson in a statement. On Saturday, the Supreme Committee of Crisis and Disaster Management in Dubai said that the passengers from India with a valid residence visa who have received two doses of a UAE-approved vaccine will be allowed to travel to Dubai, Gulf News reported. They should also present a negative test certificate from a PCR test taken 48 hours before departure. We will resume carrying passengers from South Africa, Nigeria and India in accordance with these protocols from 23rd June," said Emirates. "We thank the Supreme Committee for their continuous efforts in monitoring the development of the situation and announcing the appropriate guidelines and protocols to protect the community and safeguard the travel sector," it added. Emirates had suspended passenger flights from India effective until July 6, 2021. However, UAE nationals, holders of UAE Golden Visas, and members of diplomatic missions who comply with the revised published COVID-19 protocols were exempted from these travel restrictions.

Read more